Sunday, March 4, 2012

Open Thread

         Whether we choose to acknowledge it or not, music is a part of our lives. It defines who we are. As technology has advanced, we have seen the decline of the album, unfortunately. With this, the overall message of the artist is missed. I'm not talking about the newest album of the latest Pop sensation, or even the newest rapper with countless "hit" songs on the radio. I'm talking about the bands that actually use their gift as an art, a means of communication that will make a person think differently about themselves/others/society as a whole.
          My Questions for the thread are simple.
1. Who gets excited for the release of an album months prior to the due date?
2. Who listens to the album as a whole rather than skipping around to hear their (and EVERYONE ELSE'S!!!) favorite tracks?
3. Who even purchases an album anymore?
4. Better yet, who even knows what linear notes are?
          These questions may sound a little pretentious or even snobby, however that was not my intention at all! As a fanatic of music, I hope to advocate the thrill of figuring out an underlying message hidden deep within an album and it's context (i.e. lyrics, artwork, instrumentation). I believe if everyone listens to and turns to music for help, rather than some ego-maniacal wealthy man, the world would be a better place to live in.

6 comments:

  1. I definitely get excited for new albums to come out months before they are due. Depending on how much time I have and how much I like the band, I will sometimes listen to the album in full. Still purchase albums...because I prefer to have them on a shelf where I can see them instead of an unseen mp3 on my laptop that could be magically erased by my computer. I like to look at the album and remember when I bought it and remember the feelings I feel when I listen to the music.
    Don't know what linear notes are though, haha.
    Interesting questions though...you have a great point! People seem to be forgetting about the art of music these days...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my albums. I actually prefer it to an iPod (although I have iPods). As soon as I learn an artist is releasing one, I get all excited. I actually love to listen to the whole album-- I hope to be a critic as well as a writer one day -- so album listening is important and soothing to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you all enjoy albums at full! In response to Danielle: the linear notes, or "sleeve notes", are the writings and artwork inside of the booklet you get with a CD. In the case of a vinyl, or the now extinct cassette (haha), it's the same thing only formatted differently. Linear notes = artwork, poetry, lyrics, special thanks, etc. I feel as though as a listener, one can gain a better understanding of the album while scanning the linear notes; something an mp3 doesn't provide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh okay. That's awesome. I'm glad I know what linear notes are now because I definitely appreciate them! I can impress my friends with the knowledge ha

      Delete
    2. I admit I don't buy albums as much as I use to. However, Taking Back Sunday has been my favorite band since they came out and I'm constantly on-top trying to always know when they release new things. I even do the count down on a calendar when I know they have a new album coming out. Plus I do know what the linear notes are, and I'm always in amazement with them...Not sure why. hahaha

      Delete
  4. If its one of my favorite bands releasing a new album and I find out about it way before the release I get excited. I just found out not too long ago one of my favorite bands is back in the studio recording and i'm super pumped for some new stuff. I love listening to albums straight through, whenever I hear a new album I always listen to it straight through, tracks are ordered in a certain way and flow together sometimes its nice to hear the whole thing as a whole. I buy albums on vinyl a lot of the time so from time to time I buy albums. I know what linear notes are and I really appreciate them, I think they're really interesting.

    ReplyDelete